In the 1840’s the Guadalupe and Comal River Valleys became focal points for the early German immigrant settlements. Among the earliest of the German communities was Clear Springs, named for a water source now covered by Lake Dunlap.
The Land on which Clear Springs Restaurant now stands was originally surveyed by James Bowie, a hero of the Alamo, in 1825.
Clear Springs Hall and Store was built in 1873 for storing cotton. At the height of cotton production it was normal to see cotton wagons backed up long distances to be weighed. It was also common for the drivers to spend their waiting time shopping and visiting at the Clear Springs Store.
The store and saloon were the only establishments of their kind for several miles. The dance hall, now the restaurant, provided for community gatherings, such as dances, parties, plays, school functions, and political rallies.
The historical Clear Springs Hall and Store now houses Clear Springs Restaurant which has preserved the historical atmosphere of the structure and the memory of the early German community.